Tuesday, May 13, 2008

20 minutes at the library.....

This was my first time stepping foot into the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts. Mainly because the Performing Arts Library is on the Upper West Side, an area I rarely visit. The library for the performing arts has reference materials about dance, music, and theater accessible to anyone who has a library card. While walking down to the entrance there is a soundtrack from the famous musical “South Pacific.” When I cruised the website for the library I did not really find anything that interested me. But when I started to walk around the library and take a look around I began to find some intriguing. On the first floor of the library they have library information, the circulation desk, and library card registration. The only thing I found of interest on the first floor is the Orchestra Collection, the Jean and Jula Goldwurm Recorded Sound and Moving Image Reading Room, and the Sound and Video Recordings. On this floor I also found old nostalgic movies that you can only see on TCM channel and a fabulous collection of Broadway musicals. Among the many musicals I found there are “ Fiddler on the Roof” and my personal favorite “ West Side Story.” On the second floor there is the Miriam and Harold Steinberg Reading Room where there is drama, dance, films, and music references and accent and dialect tapes. What I found most occupying on this floor is looking at the music books with songs from the past. On the third floor the most profound exhibit I found was the Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound and Theater on film and tapes archives. Besides finding a few useful resources and references that I could possibly use, I found the library for the performing arts to be surprisingly boring

No comments: